Friday, March 14, 2014

A new job and a new skill

My new job is pretty good! I work with strictly aluminum. I build and weld railings for buildings. Aluminum is WAY hotter, brighter and difficult to weld. 

This is arc burn from my first day of work. Doug was lucky enough to have to be in public with me and this burn. Three weeks later and my face is still peeling.




I have been wearing the same $40 steel toe boots for over two years. They are so shitty, that after work I can hardly walk, literally. Yesterday I finally used some Christmas gift cards that I had been saving from Gramma and Gramps and bought these beauties! Drew and I are so frugal that it took a lot of persuasion to get them. Also, work boots are tax free! Who knew? 

This is the first railing that I built on my own. I weld everything that is built in the shop, and everyday I get blue prints and spend time learning how to fabricate and read prints. Normally I get to build one or two railings a day by myself! I can't wait until I'm a pro!!

This one with the balls on top is the one I did today.
It was more difficult because of the little pattern in the middle. I had to make sure each picket was perfectly straight and then cut it and add the little doodad thing. I like that my job is investing time and energy to teach me these skills. If (like most welding jobs) I get laid off, I can add a new skill and have different job prospects! I'm not just about structural steel any more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment